An exhibit opens April 26 at the Pacifica History Museum tracing the history of Pedro Valley, the southernmost area of Pacifica, during its farming period and through the early years of the building of today's Linda Mar.
With photos, maps and narrative, the “San Pedro Valley to Linda Mar: From Rancho to Farms to Ranch Houses” exhibit starts after the death of Francisco Sanchez in 1862 and the arrival of European immigrants, including Italians who brought the artichoke to the coast.
The valley by the early 1900s was renowned for its artichokes and the vegetables were shipped all over the United States, thanks to the Ocean Shore Railroad and innovative farming techniques developed by the Italians. The historic Sanchez Adobe, surrounded by artichoke fields, was even used as a packing shed for a time.
In the 1950s, developer Andres “Andy” Oddstad acquired much of Pedro Valley and began building a new community, Linda Mar. Tracts of single-family houses were constructed up and down the valley during the booming post-World War II period when returning G.Is settled down in the San Francisco suburbs.
The subdivisions were built so quickly and the families grew so fast that the infrastructure could not keep up. The first Linda Mar schoolchildren attended classrooms in unfinished houses – an event so dramatic that the valley was written about in Time and Life magazines. In 1957, Linda Mar became part of the new city of Pacifica.
The exhibit, which was researched and designed by the daughter of a Pedro Valley artichoke farmer, will be on display at the Pacifica Coastside Museum though mid August. The museum is at 1850 Francisco Blvd. It is open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, 1 p.m to 4 p.m., and admission is free.
For more information contact: Erika Rigling, email@example.com